Parking lots are often hurried, cramped places, making them a prime location for auto accidents. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reports that about one out of every five car crashes occurs in a parking lot. At Joe Horrox Law, our legal team can help you navigate the complex world of auto accident litigation so you can pursue fair compensation for your damages. If you’ve been the victim of a car accident, the last thing you want to worry about is building your case. We’ll help you gather evidence, file forms, and pursue the maximum settlement you can obtain. In many circumstances, taking simple, proactive, steps can help you get just compensation after an accident. In the following blog post, we discuss the particulars of auto accidents in parking lots and explain how our Holy Hill legal firm can help you.
What Makes Parking Lot Crashes Different?
Some people may not realize that a parking lot car accident is a little different from your run-of-the-mill street or freeway crash. These incidents sometimes require special attention because:
- They are typically relatively low-speed, minor accidents, so some parties may be tempted not to involve insurance companies or local authorities. While the accident may not have caused much noticeable damage to your vehicle, you could end up spending thousands of dollars in mechanical repairs.
- Most parking lots are considered private property, meaning that the same laws, rules, and standards may not apply. Depending on the particular situation, the police may not even come to the scene if called due to these jurisdictions.
- In the midst of pulling in and out of spaces, keeping an eye out for pedestrians, and driving around, it can be especially difficult to determine fault.
These factors make seeking legal guidance particularly beneficial for parking lot car crashes.
In the Event of an Accident
Perhaps you were minding your own business, pulling out of a space, and someone whipped around the corner and hit you. Maybe you were pulling around a corner and another driver clipped the side of your car, smashing your bumper. Whatever the case, there are measures you can take to protect yourself and build your case if you fall victim to a parking lot car crash. In the event of an accident, you should:
- Pull your car into a safe location. The last thing you need is your vehicle obstructing traffic and causing further problems.
- Make sure you get the other driver’s name, insurance provider, license plate number, and contact information.
- Call your insurance provider, even if the damage seems negligible or the other driver offers to work out payment with you.
- Take pictures of your car, the other driver’s car, and the scene in general.
- Collect contact information from witnesses if possible.
- Call the police. Depending on the specific site of the accident, the local authorities may or may not come, but it is worth a shot, since police can file reports that benefit your case. If the police cannot come, you might try contacting private security on the premises.
- Avoid getting into an emotional confrontation with the other driver or discussing fault. It is especially important to avoid making any incriminating statements about what might have occurred or how it could have been your fault.
- Write down everything you can remember about the accident before leaving the scene. It might be difficult to remember the details of this stressful situation after the fact.
How Our Team Can Assist You
Attorney Joe Horrox and our team understand the distinctive dynamics of auto accident law, so we can guide you through the process of filing your claim. We’ll work closely with you to gather evidence, whether this takes the form of contacting witnesses for statements or sending you to a special doctor who can identify the medical repercussions of an accident. We’ll help determine fault (it could be the other driver’s responsibility or, in some cases, the owner of the private lot’s fault) and use our expertise to help you get the compensation you deserve. You can pursue damages for your mechanical bills, medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost work time, and more.
Have You Been in a Parking Lot Auto Accident?
If you’ve suffered a car crash in a parking lot, Joe Horrox and our team can help. To learn more about these cases or schedule a free initial consultation, contact our law practice today.