There is always a risk of an accident occurring when you are driving or riding in a motor vehicle. However, for some drivers, those chances are even greater. Motorcycle drivers face a unique set of dangers on the road. Not only are motorcycle accidents a frequent occurrence (in large part because other drivers fail to see them on the road), but motorcycle accidents are highly dangerous for riders, due to the lack of protection provided by the vehicle. With nothing but a helmet and some protective gear between the rider and another vehicle, or the road, the chance of a serious injury resulting from a motorcycle accident is high. Motorcycle accident statistics in Volusia County, and across the country, show that motorcycle accidents can be even more damaging than a traditional auto accident, making it even more important for the victims of a motorcycle accident to seek legal representation from an experienced motorcycle accident attorney, such as those at Joe Horrox Law.
Get the Facts on Motorcycle Accidents
To look at a motorcycle, it is easy to assume that the chances of getting out of a motorcycle accident unharmed are slim to none. With no doors or roof to offer protection, drivers of motorcycle accidents are particularly vulnerable to injury, or even death, should an accident occur. This is why it is so important for auto drivers to be particularly careful and look out for motorcycle drivers, especially before changing lanes. Unfortunately, many drivers fail to adequately check for motorcycles, thus increasing the dangers of motorcycle accidents. Below are some unfortunate statistics regarding motorcycle accidents, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- In 2013, 4,668 motorcyclists died in crashes, accounting for 14 percent of all traffic fatalities that year
- In 2013, 88,000 motorcyclists were injured in a motorcycle accident
- Older motorcyclists (those aged 40 and over) accounted for 56 percent of motorcycle fatalities in 2012
- In 2012, 29 percent of all motorcycle drivers that were fatally injured were shown to have blood alcohol levels of .08 or higher (a blood alcohol level of .08 is the national definition of drunk driving)
- 34 percent of motorcycle drivers involved in fatal accidents in 2012 were speeding
- Crash statistics from 2012 show that motorcyclists are about 26 times more likely to die in a crash than drivers of traditional passenger vehicles
- Statistics from 2012 show that motorcycle drivers are about five times more likely than passenger vehicle drivers to be injured in an accident
The Importance of Legal Representation
With the increased likelihood of serious injury or death that is associated with a motorcycle accident, it is not surprising that the costs associated with a motorcycle accident can also be much greater than those of a traditional auto accident. Our motorcycle accident attorneys at Joe Horrox Law understand the financial and emotional costs of a motorcycle accident and will fight for maximum compensation for our clients. We are not afraid to take our cases to court if we do not get what we are seeking from insurance companies, and will use that fact to our advantage. In the case of a motorcycle accident, having legal representation is vital to ensuring that you are adequately compensated for all damages suffered.
If you are the victim of a motorcycle accident, the benefits of having one of our motorcycle accident attorneys fighting by your side are numerous. We understand the unique damages faced by motorcyclists following an accident and we fight on behalf of our clients to ensure that those damages are rewarded. Contact us at your earliest convenience to discuss your case and learn more about how we can help you get the justice you deserve. We look forward to hearing from you.